Monday, July 20, 2009

Balancing Work


sometimes i just wonder why i'm always so eager and enthusiatic to sign up for the events that i do.

a) to motivate myself to keep fit
b) for a sense of achievement
c) to distract myself from work
d) to simply have fun and take life less seriously

i have this regular cycle that i experience, what about you? i get this adrenalin rush whenever i click on the payment icon whilst registering myself for a race (fun!!). then i talk my good buddy (KS) into doing the same. in the next 1-2 weeks i will be planning out my training schedule and print it out and place it in my room (fun!!). i would follow through the program for the initial 2 weeks and think about what gears and stuff i need to buy for race day (fun!!). Next 4-8 weeks my motivation will wane and i start missing traning and make exceptions for my fat free diet plans. Then i will start to feel miserable and not want to do anything about it. 2 weeks leading to the event, i will suddenly 'wake up' and begin my panic training regime.

this is a really funny photo i got from the web. You can view the photo on the blog link here http://www.virgintriathlete.com/my_first_triathlon/2008/09/working-training-either-way-safety-first.html
Lately work has been the reason for my laziness. I must say balancing work and training is a tough act to begin with. its even more difficult if we want to clock a respectable time which demands consistency. recently i have been working longer hours in offices due to work seasonality which gave me good excuses to skip workouts. the added travel required from my work also made it less easy.

i'm quite sure i'm going to say to myself - "why didn't i swim more, bike more or run more before the event". Do such thoughts flash across your mind during your race day too? hmmm...i wonder am i the only one.

So if you ever recognise me or happen to see me riding or running next to you during an event, tell me that you do to make me feel normal.

No comments: